Terms and Conditions
1. By placing your order with us, you (the customer) shall be deemed to have read and accepted the following Terms and Conditions, and likewise the terms of our Privacy and Cookies Policy.
2. All transactions made via this website are subject to UK law and the sole jurisdiction of the English courts. The contents of this site have been prepared and are presented in accordance with UK law, but may not accord in all details with the laws of other countries.
3. Every effort is made to ensure that all items offered for sale on our website are described and depicted as accurately as possible. However, due to variations in individual monitor settings, variable lighting conditions, and the limitations of the photographic process, the actual colours of some items may differ from their on-screen appearance.
4. Due to the antique and vintage (i.e. second-hand) nature of most of our stock, the majority of the items we offer for sale will, to a greater or lesser extent, exhibit various signs of age, which we have endeavoured to describe to the best of our ability. Furthermore, some of these items are, for various reasons (age, condition, non-compliance with current safety regulations, etc.), no longer fit to be used as originally intended, and are therefore offered for sale as collector’s items or display pieces only. For these reasons, no warranties are given or implied in respect of any of our products (except insofar as their condition at the time of delivery shall remain as described), and no responsibility is accepted for any untoward consequences arising from their use or misuse; however, your statutory rights are not affected.
5. It is your responsibility, as the prospective purchaser, to ensure – on the basis of the information we provide, and with reference to clauses 3 and 4 above – that any item(s) you order are suited to the purposes for which you require them; we therefore advise that you study the relevant item description(s) and images carefully. Please note that we are not responsible for any misreading, misunderstanding, or mistranslation of this information by yourself or any third party.
6. All of our basic product prices include free standard postage and packing within the United Kingdom only; international delivery is available for most items at extra cost. Insured / express UK delivery is included as standard for packages worth over £50, and is available at extra cost for lower-value orders. Overseas and insured / express UK shipping rates are not currently specified for items in The Back Room; should you require them, please contact us before you order. (See clause 16 below for further information about the delivery services we use.)
7. Although we welcome orders from outside the United Kingdom (see clause 6 above), non-UK customers should note that:
(a) We regret that we are unable to offer overseas shipping for fragile items which are likely to exceed current Airmail size and weight limits when suitably packed, since no economic courier service accepting larger items for overseas delivery will provide insurance against breakage;
(b) Although we may be able to send large, heavy and/or bulky non-fragile items outside the UK, we do not offer overseas shipping for such items except by special arrangement, as the cost in most cases will be prohibitively high in relation to the cost of UK delivery;
(c) We are unable to send any item(s) to any destination where the importation or delivery of the said item(s) is forbidden by customs or postal regulations;
(d) We are not responsible for any customs and/or import duties that may be payable upon your order upon its arrival in the destination country (please check with your local Customs Office);
(e) We are unable to accept cheques or bank transfer payments from non-UK accounts, except by prior negotiation.
The currency converter facility on our website (to be found at the top right of each page - to use it, click on the words "change currency") will convert all our shop prices into a selection of overseas currencies (including Euros or US Dollars) at current exchange rates; all payments, however, should be made in pounds sterling (£GBP).
8. By placing your order with us, you offer to purchase the item(s) concerned at the agreed price(s), and on the basis of the product information we provide. Our acceptance of your offer is conditional upon our receipt of your payment (including any additional shipping or other charges), our ability to fulfil your order, and the absence of any error or innocent misrepresentation by either party.
9. When placing your order, it is your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide is complete and correct; for obvious reasons, this is especially important with regard to your shipping address (see clause 17 below). This information will be kept secure, and will be used only in accordance with the terms of our Privacy and Cookies Policy.
10. Prompt payment is encouraged and appreciated. Customers from within the United Kingdom are welcome to pay by cheque, postal order, Amazon Pay (for customers with existing Amazon accounts), PayPal (for customers with existing PayPal accounts), or credit / debit card via PayPal (no account required – just a valid email address). We may also accept direct bank transfer payments in pounds sterling (£GBP) from UK bank accounts, although you will have to contact us first to arrange this, since (in order to prevent unauthorised payments) we do not currently offer this option at checkout. Owing to variable bank charges for international transactions, we regret that we are unable to accept cheques issued by non-UK banks, or in any currency other than pounds sterling (£GBP), except by prior negotiation; customers from outside the United Kingdom, unless holding an UK bank account, must therefore normally pay by Amazon Pay, PayPal, or credit / debit card via PayPal. We do NOT recommend that you send cash through the post; if you send payment this way, you do so at your own risk.
11. If you choose to pay by cheque or postal order, please send payment as instructed within seven days of placing your order. We may contact you to ask you to confirm that you wish to complete your purchase. If we have not received your payment or otherwise heard from you after seven days, we may send you a reminder; if we have still not received payment, or any further communication, from you after a further seven days, your order will be cancelled without further notice from us, and the item(s) concerned will be put back on sale.
12. If you place an order with us by supplying your billing and shipping details, but do not successfully complete the payment stage, your order remains incomplete; items thus incompletely “ordered” are not deducted from our stock, and remain available for other customers to purchase until your order is completed. If you have provided a valid email address, we may attempt to contact you about your incomplete order; however, if we have not received payment or otherwise heard from you after seven days, your order will be cancelled without further notice.
13. If any item(s) you have ordered, upon their retrieval from storage and prior to packing, are found to have been misdescribed in any way, or to have deteriorated whilst in storage, or if for any other reason we are unable to fulfil your order within an acceptable timeframe (or at all), we will inform you of the situation, and give you the opportunity to cancel the order (in whole or in part) and be refunded accordingly; alternatively, we may at our discretion offer you a partial refund where appropriate.
14. All orders - especially those of a fragile nature - are packed with great care, using good quality recycled and/or new materials as appropriate, in order to ensure, to the best of our ability, that your items will reach you safely. For instance, glassware, ceramics and other fragile items are double-boxed with plenty of protective packing and cushioning material (such as bubble-wrap and polystyrene “packing peanuts”), whilst suitable protection is given to books, paper ephemera and other items susceptible to damage from bending, bumping and wet weather.
15. Orders paid for successfully by Amazon Pay, PayPal (eCheque payments excepted) or postal order will be dispatched within three working days where possible; items paid for by cheque or eCheque will be shipped once your payment has cleared (which takes around five to seven working days for cheques, and around ten working days for eCheques).
16. Your order will be dispatched using a postal or courier service appropriate to its total size, weight and value; in some cases, a signature will be required upon delivery. In general, the delivery services we use are as follows (please click on the links provided for more information):
- UK orders, total value up to £20: Royal Mail Second Class Standard, except for certain heavy / bulky items which will be sent by Parcelforce Express 48 (or an alternative courier)
- UK orders, total value between £20 and £50: Royal Mail Second Class Signed For (or Second Class Standard if packed as two or more separate packages worth less than £20), except for certain heavy / bulky items which will be sent by Parcelforce Express 48 (or an alternative courier)
- UK orders, total value over £50: Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm (or Second Class Standard / Second Class Signed For if packed as two or more separate packages worth less than £20 / £50), except for certain heavy / bulky items which will be sent by Parcelforce Express 48 (or an alternative courier)
- Overseas orders, total value up to £10 excluding shipping: Royal Mail International Standard (Airmail)
- Overseas orders, total value over £10 excluding shipping: Royal Mail International Signed, International Tracked or International Tracked and Signed (depending upon destination) for small items worth up to £250 (or International Standard if packed as two or more separate packages worth less than £10 each excluding shipping); Parcelforce Worldwide (or an alternative courier) for heavy / bulky and higher value items.
17. It is your responsibility, as the purchaser, to ensure that you provide us with a correct and complete shipping address when you place your order, and that you or your appointed agent (a trustworthy neighbour or business colleague, for instance) will be available to receive your order upon its arrival, or else to collect it from your local delivery office (or equivalent) within the time period for which they will retain it before returning it to us. (Due to the nature of the delivery services we use, we regret that we cannot normally provide an exact delivery date.) If your order is returned to us by the postal or delivery service as a result of your having given an incorrect or incomplete shipping address, or because it has not been duly received or collected, we will refund the original purchase price minus the original postage cost.
18. You are welcome to cancel your order, in whole or in part*, and for any reason, up to 14 days after you or your appointed agent have received the goods, provided the item(s) concerned remain in their original – i.e. as described – condition (unless they were misdescribed by us, or have been lost or damaged in transit – see clauses 20-22 below). If we receive your cancellation request before your order has been dispatched, we will refund the purchase price of the item(s) concerned in full at our earliest convenience. If your order has already been dispatched, you may return it to us in whole or in part*, at the return address as given on the outside of each package and the packing slip within, for a full refund of the purchase price of the item(s) being returned, to be given upon our receipt of the item(s) in their original condition. However, we regret that we cannot refund the cost of return postage, except where we have requested or agreed to the return of items that have been misdescribed by us or damaged in transit. (*For this purpose, a group of items sold together as a set counts as a single item, and as such must be returned as a complete group or set, unless we have previously agreed to accept its return in part.)
19. Returns should be made using a postal or courier service which provides sufficient compensation cover for loss or damage, according to the value of the item(s) concerned, and should (if they have been unpacked) be repackaged to the same standard as they were upon their outward journey; in any case, proof of postage / delivery should be obtained. Furthermore, we strongly recommend that you contact us before you return your item(s), so that we know that they are on their way back to us, and can duly await their return. We regret that no refund can be given for returned items that have been lost or damaged upon their return journey, or which we do not receive owing to your failure to inform us of your intention to return them. Should any such loss or damage occur, it will become your responsibility to claim compensation from the postal service or courier concerned, although in the case of damage we will provide photographs of the damaged item(s) via email, and retain the actual item(s), with their packaging, for inspection by the postal service or courier if required.
20. If you are dissatisfied with any item(s) you have ordered from us owing to an error or omission on our part (but please see clauses 3 and 4 above), we will endeavour – once you have reported the problem to us – to resolve it to the best of our ability and to your satisfaction; for instance, we may offer a full or partial refund as appropriate, or a replacement item if available.
21. In the unlikely event that your order (or part of your order) is lost in transit, we will provide a full refund of the purchase price of the lost item(s), prior to our making a claim for compensation from Royal Mail or the courier as appropriate, once sufficient time has elapsed (in the estimation of the postal or courier service concerned) for the item to be considered lost, and thus for a claim to be made. However, we may first request that you contact your local delivery office (or equivalent) to make sure that they are not holding the item(s) for you following an unsuccessful delivery attempt (of which they may, or may not, have informed you).
22. In the equally unlikely event that your order (or part of your order) is damaged in transit, we will provide a full refund of the purchase price of the damaged item(s), prior to our making a claim for compensation from Royal Mail or the courier as appropriate, once you have provided us with acceptable proof of the said damage. We may accordingly request that you return the damaged item(s) to us by an appropriate postal service or courier (and reimburse you for this accordingly); however, it is more likely that we will ask you to provide us with photographic evidence of the damage to the item(s) and their packing, and request that you retain the said item(s) and packing for inspection if required.
23. Images and descriptions of sold items which are out of stock will normally be transferred – once the items concerned have been dispatched – to our "Sold by Vanished Eras" pages, where they will remain on view indefinitely as a source of useful information for collectors and researchers; they may also remain on view on other third-party sites (e.g. Facebook, Pinterest, blogs, specialist collectors' sites) to which we, or others, may have uploaded them. Sale prices of sold items are not displayed, but may be supplied upon request, with the proviso that they should not be taken as a definitive – or current – valuation of the item(s) concerned.
24. We reserve the right to alter prices, amend item descriptions, introduce or withdraw special offers and promotions, combine individual items into mixed lots, split existing mixed lots, and/or withdraw items from sale at any time and without prior notice. We likewise reserve the right to offer items for sale elsewhere (at antiques / collector’s fairs, for instance) without first deleting them from our online inventory. If any item listed for sale on our website is sold elsewhere, we will remove it from our current stock as soon as possible; should we afterwards discover that you have ordered it from our website, we will cancel your order, and fully refund (with due apologies) any payment you have already sent, at our earliest convenience.
25. We reserve the right to revise the above terms and conditions without prior notice; however, we will not retrospectively apply any such changes to transactions commenced before the said changes were made.
If you have any concerns about these terms and conditions, please contact us.
Terms and conditions last updated 11 April 2017